Any air compressor that produces noise levels above 85 decibels is loud. Actually, buying an air compressor with above 85DBa could cause more discomfort and disadvantages than it would bring at your work place. As such, buying the best ultra quiet air compressor should be of great a priority to as you as buying a compressor that will handle all your needs.
Fortunately, there are multiple air compressors that produce 60 or lower decibels in the market today. We have reviewed six of the highest rated and especially those that also perform efficiently, to help ease your buying decision making process. We have also discussed the main factors that define a great top rated quiet air compressor as well as the benefits of owning such a machine. Be keen to note the special features in some of these machines, therefore, as they could be the difference between saving more money and getting greater value from the air compressor you finally purchase.
- DEWALT DWFP55126
- Motor: 0.9 HP
- Tank capacity: 6 gallon
- Max Pressure: 165 psi
- 120V, 60HZ, 10 AMPS
- Noise level: 75.5 db
- SCFM at 90 psi: 2.6
- Dimensions: 16" x 16" x 17.5"
- Other features: oil free pump, 2 universal couplers, High-flow regulator, Ball drain valve
- California Air Tools CAT-1610A
- Motor: 1.0 HP (Rated / Running) 2.0 HP (Peak)
- Tank capacity: 1.6 gallon
- Max Pressure: 120 psi
- 7.6 amps, 110V
- Noise level: 60 db
- SCFM at 90 psi: 2.4
- Dimensions: 17.3" x 14.2" x 14.6"
- Other features: oil free pump, tank pressure gauge, single stage, dual piston pump, thermal overload protection, ball drain valve
- Senco PC1010
- Motor: 1 hp. (peak) .5 hp. (running)
- Tank capacity: 1 gallon
- Max Pressure: 125 psi
- 4 amps, 115V
- Noise level: 68 db
- SCFM at 90 psi: 0.7
- Dimensions: 13" x 14" x 10"
- Other features: oil free pump, pump up time 128 Seconds,
- DEWALT D55140
- Motor: 0.3 HP
- Tank capacity: 1 gallon
- Max Pressure: 135 psi
- 120V, 60HZ, 2.6 AMPS
- Noise level: 71 db
- SCFM at 90 psi: 0.75
- Dimensions: 19" x 14.5" x 9"
- Other features: oill free pump, ball valve drain, Roll cage and control panel, high-flow regulator, one quick coupler
- DEWALT DWFP55130
- Motor: 1.1 HP
- Tank capacity: 2.5 gallon
- Max Pressure: 200 psi
- 120V, 60HZ, 8 AMPS
- Noise level: 71.5 db
- SCFM at 90 psi: 3
- Dimensions: 12.5" x 20.5" x 16.75"
- Other features: oill free pump, ball valve drain, Roll cage and control panel, high-flow regulator, Dual quick couplers
- California Air Tools 5510SE
- Motor: 1 HP
- Tank capacity: 5.5 gallon
- Max Pressure: 120 psi
- 110-volt/60 Hz, 8.5 amp
- Noise level: 60 db
- SCFM at 90 psi: 2.2
- Dimensions: 25.5" x 11.5" x 21"
- Other features: oil free pump, pump up time 120 sec, Thermal overload protector, air filter
Top 6 Ultra Quiet Air Compressors
Senco PC1010 Ultra Quiet Air Compressor
The PC1010 air compressor prides in having the professional standards Senco products are known for. The machine’s design, for instance, represents the high quality designs from Senco products, and particularly its comfortable but strong handle, high quality cylinder, and a relatively simple setup. This air compressor as you will also note below is quite powerful, probably as powerful as any professional carpenter or machine operator would want it to be.
- The machine is lightweight and ultra-quiet – Weighing only 20 pounds and measuring 14 inches long; this is a machine you could easily move around your workshop or farmhouse. Again, it is an ultra-quiet operator, meaning you could power your tools quietly and without making anyone around you feel uncomfortable.
- High Performance – It features a 1 HP engine which is rather powerful for any average homeowner. If you especially use a compressor as a hobbyist, or if you only deal with simple tools such as nailers and average wrenches, this could be a great deal for you. It can handle a wide range of jobs after all, and could also deliver air at 120 PSI in just about 128 seconds. It also delivers about 20 to 44 drives per minute, thus making your work faster and more efficiently.
- Features Multiple Convenience Functions – In addition to a long 115 volt power cord, this compressor also features a discharge line, a safety relief gauge as well as a drain relief valve. It also features other safety protection functions such as a protective shroud and a quick disconnecting switch in case of an emergency.
Dewalt DWFP55126 Air Compressor
If you love the idea of a small, portable air compressor, this might be a model you would like to own. It is one of the quietest air compressors to start with, it comes from a reputed company and has often received high ratings as well. But since it is the details that matter, read below to see what makes it turn interest from thousands of professionals around the country.
- Features a big Cylinder – Don’t let the small pancake looks deceive you. This air compressor has a 6 Gallon storage tank and an output of about 165PSI. It is thus a machine you could run for about 10hours non-stop. Again, the 165 PSI and high drives per minute could enable you to power flat tires, do typically farm work or operate your business efficiently without having any glitches.
- The air compressor is light and portable – With its pancake portable design and a weight of 30 lbs.; this is a tool you will enjoy carrying as you move about doing your job. The light weight also adds convenience where you do different jobs in different locations around your home, and need to move with the machine. It also measures 23 by 34 inches, just to add more convenience.
- Efficient for Multiple Jobs – With its 2.6 CFM @90PSI, the machine can handle quite a number of jobs. To start with, this pancake air compressor can easily help you with nailing or framing nailers that ask for up to 2.2 CFM. It could also impact your wrenches or double up as an air brush for hobbyists. And as many ultra-quiet air compressor reviews note, this is one of the best air compressors for inflating tires or for work on house related jobs.
California Air Tools CAT-1610A
Being one of the most popular and one of the best quiet air compressors in the market today, the CAT-1610A is a machine you can have confident investing in. It is light in weight to start with; it is one of the quietest and has a construction that is fully rust resistant. However, there are many more reasons that make this machine worth buying, some of which are outlined below.
- 1.6 Rust Free Gallon Tank – The small gallon tank helps keep this machine light in weight and easy to refill. In addition, the tank is made with a rust free material, meaning you never have to worry about corrosion or tarnishing. Again, the machine requires no oil for lubrication, which yet reduces your maintenance work.
- Efficient 1 HP Motor – With its 1 HP motor, the California air tool model could air brush, inflate truck tires, power high power wrenches and do a range of other commercial jobs with utmost efficiency.
- Ultra-Quiet – The air compressor is one of the lightest in the market; mainly because it doesn’t need lubrication and has a 1680 RPM that keeps its operations low. The high RPM also help extend the machine’s longevity, especially when operating high power jobs.
- Light and Convenient – At just 35 lbs, the CAT model is one which you could enjoy carrying around your work place. Again, its cylinder design and average size also make the machine convenient to a great extent. On the other hand, the easy disconnect function; safety features and lack of expensive maintenance requirements do make the CAT model a high value air compressor.
Dewalt D55140 Air Compressor
This Dewalt model is made for anyone who wants an ultra-quiet machine in the house, and better still, a machine they could keep in a bag or hold easily. And as small and light as the machine is, it offers about 135 PSI and the convenience only a few top rated compressors can. See below for its main features.
- Lightweight – As already stated, the machine is one of the lightest and easiest to carry in the market. It weighs 24 pounds only to be specific and can fit on any average sized adult’s arms. Dewalt also added a one-hand quick connection to enhance your experience with the machine as you do normal jobs.
- High Surge Performance – The machine delivers about 90 PSI to 135 PSI; thus enabling to handle even high power jobs such as the custom installation of shelves, pressure testing new plumb lines or inflating big truck tires. The machine’s performance is also enhanced by a 2.6 amp draw motor that helps reduce breaker tripping as well as increase your start up time.
- Low Maintenance, Oil-less Pump – The Dewalt model also features an oil-less pump for easier maintenance of the machine as well as for helping you keep your worksite clean. On the other hand, the compressor’s unique design that is protected by a roll cage does ensure you have less maintenance work as the prevalence of tearing and wearing gets reduced.
Dewalt DWFP55130 Ultra Quiet Air Compressor
This Dewalt model is one of the most powerful air compressors you can find on the market today. It offers a maximum of 200 PSI, and with this pressure, you could do any amount of tire inflating or nailing in a day. And despite the high power, this compressor is quiet, producing just 71 decibels while on average load. But even lovelier is this compressor’s design which offers great style, protection and ease of use.
- High Surge Power – With the ability to achieve 30 CFM @90 PSI, the compressor could run up to 3 high power finish nailers at the same time. And note that it could also reach a maximum of 200 PSI, although the machine does self-cut to 165 PSI to save on air usage.
- Ultra-quiet – At 71 decibels, this air compressor is definitely a low noise emitter. As such, the machine could be a great tool for use even in homes or in commercial places where maintaining silence is advised. The low noise also guarantees you that you are safe from getting hearing problems, as this is a common problem with many modern machines.
- Compact and Portable – Although it is a bit heavy at 34 pounds, it is still portable, thanks to its great design and comfortable handle. The machine is also average sized, measuring 14 inches by 36 inches even though it also accommodates up to 2.5 Gallons of compressed air.
- Strong Quality – In addition to being portable, the compressor’s construction guarantees a long service life. It is well protected by an all-round cage on all sides, plus it can be stored while standing vertically or horizontally.
California Air Tools 5510SE
This California air tool has one of the most stylish designs you can find in a modern air compressor. It also features a big 5.5 gallons cylinder, indicating that it is a serious tool for any professional woodworker out there. And fortunately, the air tool doesn’t try to lure you with its great design alone. It operates amazingly well and has got very high ratings in numerous quiet air compressor reviews.
- Great Design and Durable Construction – The air compressor is quite stylish, probably one of the best looking top rated machine in the market today. And since the cylinder is made up of a rust free steel tank, it is a machine capable of lasting for many years.
- Big tank – With a 5.5 gallons tank, the air compressor is made for serious professionals only. You may also inflate your car tires or power some other leisure tools, but is a machine made to handle the toughest of compressor jobs as can be seen by the big air tank
- High Air Delivery – As already stated this machine means business when it comes to powering tools. It achieves about 3.10 CFM @40 PSI, 2.2CFM @90 PSI, to help you power different types of jobs accordingly. On the other hand, the machine supports a dual piston pump that reaches 120 PSI to increase efficiency.
- Light and Portable – Although the compressor’s tank is big, it is also light enough to be lifted or transported over short distances.
- Ultra-quiet – It produces 60 decibels of noise despite its great performance, which in turn helps you work smoothly without disruptions.
Ultra Quiet Air Compressors Comparison Table
|Product name||Motor||Tank capacity||Noise level||Max pressure, PSI||SCFM at 90 psi|
|DEWALT DWFP55126||0.9 HP||6 gallon||75.5 db||165||2.6|
|California Air Tools CAT-1610A||1.0 HP (Rated / Running) 2.0 HP (Peak)||1.6 gallon||60 db||120||2.4
|Senco PC1010||1 hp. (peak) .5 hp. (running)||1 gallon||68 db||125||0.7|
|DEWALT D55140||0.3 HP||1 gallon||71 db||135||0.75|
|DEWALT DWFP55130||1.1 HP||2.5 gallon||71.5 db||200||3|
|California Air Tools 5510SE||1 HP||5.5 gallon||60 db||120||2.2|
Best Ultra-Quiet Air Compressor Buying Guide
You may have already noticed that air compressor sellers tend to use a lot of jargon. They will mention terms such as DBI, PSI, HP and tank sizes often, and if you are not keen you may get duped into buying a less appropriate air compressor. When buying an ultra quiet portable air compressor especially, you should know a few things about the noise level and how it affects your work efficiency. On the other hand, it is important to know what makes great air compressors perform highly as well as learn how to select an ultra-quiet air compressor that can also handle your needs. Read below to learn more.
Low Noise Level
So, what is the ideal noise production in an air compressor? Well, the quietest air compressors produce about 60 decibels of noise. But when you move to 70 decibels, you get a machine that is twice as loud as the 60 decibels. This means, therefore, that there is a need to be precise on the maximum noise production you can handle, although you also need to check other factors. All the same, the most important thing here is the fact that air compressors get annoyingly loud with every five more decibels it can produce.
High Cubic Feet per Minute (CFM)
Forget everything else you’ve heard about the air compressor’s performance, and instead, ask about the CFM. An air compressor with a higher CFM definitely indicates more power, and the ability to handle commercial jobs. Air compressors’ CFMs are often tested at 90 PSI or the equivalent of an average sized nailer. If you only need a compressor for small jobs, you could settle for a quiet low CFM compressor, as they also tend to cost less.
An air compressor’s tank size matters for a number of reasons but most importantly is that bigger tanks help you have enough air to handle multiple operations without stopping to refill. However, a big tank might not help you when the air compressor’s CFM is low. With this in mind, prioritize on the CFM more, and then choose a compressor’s size depending on how much work you have for the air compressor. Also note that you could buy a small sized air compressor and perform efficiently as a big tank would, especially where the air compressor has higher PSI. But if you have no problem with buying a big tank, the PSI shouldn’t really matter a lot.
Note that as you should at more than just the weight when you think about portability. The most portable machines also have great designs or handles that ease carrying. On the other hand, buying an oil-less compressor is the norm these days. This is because they are easy to maintain and don’t wear much fast anyway. Oil-less compressors also produce less noise. In addition, it is important to buy a shrouded machine, as this reduces the rate of wear and unnecessary noise production.
Finally, the best air compressor will come with important accessories such as a hose, a cord wrap or a nail gun.
Benefits of Owning the Quietest Air Compressor
- Less Risk of acquiring hearing problems – The louder the air compressor, the more likely you could develop a hearing problem. And since the noise production almost doubles with every 10 decibels increased in an air compressor, buying the quietest among them is the only sure way to avoid hearing problems.
- Having a quiet air compressor helps you concentrate on your work – Noise can be an irritating distracter, and it could also cause inefficiency or injuries in some woodworking jobs. However, when you are fully focused on your work with no distracters, you are able to increase your productivity at the end of the day. Again, the lack of a distraction helps you enjoy your work.
- You enhance a conducive working environment for everyone around you – Working with the quietest air compressor brings benefits to everyone working around you. They will enjoy the silence and great environment that helps increase their productivity.
- A quiet air compressor is more likely to be efficient – As you can note in the ultra-quiet air compressors reviews outlined above, only the best performing air compressors have low noise levels. The rest produces as much as 85 decibels, which is definitely value to the buyer given that they are not the best performers.
- Working with a quiet machine helps enhance teamwork, especially in workshops and industrial operations – Being able to concentrate and listen to what you partners are saying are an important aspect of teamwork, and this could be greatly affected if you work with a high producer of noise.
While selecting the best ultra quiet air compressor isn’t an easy task, it can be done. You can get your ideal air compressor if you just know what factors to pay attention to. You can also end up buying a great value machine if you have the details of what you expect or need from an air compressor at your fingertips. And certainly, if all you need is a simple machine to handle DIY jobs at your farm house or at your work place, you simply need to check our reviewed air compressors above and pick the one that impresses you the most.